Research Assistant Professor
Zhang’s primary research area is on the cybersecurity of industrial control systems. She has developed cyber-physical testbeds using simulators and physical components to investigate different areas of cybersecurity, including network architecture, authentication, different cyber-attack scenarios, cyber-attack detection methods, and risk assessment strategies.
Her other research areas include systems modeling and simulation, online monitoring, fault detection, and diagnostics using statistical models and machine learning methods.
PhD, Nuclear Engineering, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, 2019
MS, Statistics, UT, 2019
MS, Nuclear Engineering, North China Electric Power University (NCEPU), 2016
BS, Nuclear Engineering, NCEPU, 2013
- Executive Committee member in Oak Ridge–Knoxville Local Section of the American Nuclear Society.
- Member of American Nuclear Society (ANS) Diversity and Inclusion Committee.
- Associate Member in ANS-3.15 working group: standards for cybersecurity.
- Session Chair at NPIC&HFICD 2019 and ANS Winter Meeting 2019.
- Peer reviewer for scientific journals, including IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, IEEE Access, IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science, and Nuclear Technology.
- Conference paper reviewer for ANS Annual Meeting 2020, ANS Winter Meeting 2019, 2018, ANS Annual Meeting 2020, 2019, 2018, NPIC&HMIT 2019, and ANS Student Conference 2018.
Awards and Recognitions
- Data challenge winner in Shared Micromobility and Infrastructure Knoxville City Hackathon, 2020
- Best paper award in Smoky Mountain Data Challenge as team leader of “Turbinator” team, 2019
- International Society of Automation (ISA) Educational Foundation Scholarship, 2019
- 2019-2020 ANS Graduate Scholarship
- Top Paper Submission, ANS Student Conference, 2019
- Best Presentation in cybersecurity, ANS Student Conference, 2019
- UT Extraordinary Professional Promise Award, 2018
- 2018-2019 ANS Graduate Scholarship
- 2018-2019 OR/K ANS Scholarship
- ISA Process Measurement and Control Division (PMCD) Scholarship, 2018
- 2017-2018 Robert E. Uhrig Graduate Scholarship
- Professional Women in the ANS Travel Grant, 2017
- Alpha Nu Sigma National Honor Society, 2017
Zhang, J. Coble, “Robust Localized Cyber-attack Detection for Key Equipment in Nuclear Power Plants,” Progress in Nuclear Energy, accepted, 2020.
F. Zhang, J.W. Hines, J. Coble, “A Robust Cybersecurity Solution Platform Architecture for Digital Instrumentation and Control Systems in Nuclear Power Facilities,” Nuclear Technology 206.7: 939-950, 2020.
F. Zhang, H. Kodituwakku, W. Hines, J. Coble, “Multi-Layer Data-Driven Cyber-Attack Detection System for Industrial Control Systems Based on Network, System and Process Data,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, vol 5, No.7, pp 4362- 4369, 2019.
D. Lu, Y. Wang, B. Yuan, F. Zhang, “Development of three-dimensional thermal-hydraulic analysis code for steam generator with two-fluid flow model and porous media approach,” Applied Thermal Engineering, vol. 116: 663-676. 2017.
D. Lu, F. Zhang, et al., “Full scope modeling and analysis on the secondary circuit of Chinese Large-Capacity Advanced PWR Based on RELAP5 Code,” Science and Technology of Nuclear Installations, vol. 2015.
F. Zhang, D. Lu et al., “Analysis on steady-state operation and heat loss of Chinese Integrated Pressurized Water Reactor,” Science and Technology of Nuclear Installations, vol. 2014.
F. Zhang, D. Lu et al., “Preliminary development of thermal power calculation code h-power for a supercritical water reactor,” Science and Technology of Nuclear Installations, vol. 2014.