Department of Nuclear Engineering, University of Tennessee
- Research covers a broad spectrum on development of numerical methods in reactor core analysis, tailoring neutron beams characteristics, high-performance computing, biomedical application (BNCT), and nuclear security and nonproliferation. The focus specifically lies on:
- Development of optimization methodologies for neutron and photon transport. With the focus on Fast Neutron Source experimental facility.
- Tailoring Neutron Beams Characteristics and designing beam shaping assemblies for Specialized Applications.
- Validation of the computational methodologies through a series of neutron activation experiments.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
June 2020–January 2021
- Worked with demonstrating the unique properties of antineutrinos by extracting range estimates from the oscillation spectra at various reactor distances.
- Modelling of the English advanced gas reactors antineutrino spectra for the neutrino detection systems.
- Modelled neutron beams from DD/DT generators at LLNL facility to:
- Reproduce the Psyche16 asteroid neutron flux;
- To emphasize specific energy channels of interest for neutron cross section of interest: for Aluminum, Iron. Neutron spectroscopy studies with foil activations and CVD diamonds.
Department of Nuclear Engineering, University of California, Berkeley and Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Graduate Student Research Assistant
August 2016–May 2020
- Further development of metaheuristic optimization software for automated neutron beam spectra tailoring based on set of predetermined constrains.
- Developing tailored neutron source for neutron activation studies at NIF, to investigate the impact of the nuclear data at different energies of materials of interest for NIF stewardship.
- Work with multidisciplinary teams at UC Berkeley Nuclear Engineering, LLNL and the National Ignition Facility (NIF) to performed four shots and seven experiments at NIF to validate the metaheuristic optimization modelling capabilities.
Department of Nuclear Engineering, University of California
Graduate Student Research Assistant
August 2014–August 2016
- Full Core Analysis with PARCS/PATH Methodology for the RBWR-TR Core Design
- Uncertainty analysis of the TRU-burning thorium-fueled RBWR using generalized perturbation theory (GPT) using Serpent Monte Carlo software.
Department of Nuclear Engineering, University of California Research
November 2013–August 2014
- Calculation with Serpent code for the cross-section generation of the Reduced moderation Boiling Water Reactor (RBWR)
- RBWR Full Core Analysis with PARCS/PATH Methodology within NEUP project, “Self-sustaining thorium boiling water reactors”
Laboratory for Reactor Physics (LRS), PSI- Paul Scherrer Institute, Switzerland
Research assistant/Junior Specialist
January 2013–October 2013
- Establishment and Verification of TRACE/PARCS Methodology for BWR analysis in the framework of STARS (Steady-state and Transient Analysis Research for Swiss reactors) project
NAGRA, National Cooperative for the Disposal of Radioactive Waste, Switzerland
June 2012–December 2012
- Calculation with MCNP of the neutron and gamma’s dose level at the surface of a POSIVA canister.
- TRITON/SCALE modeling for Swiss PWR and BWR fuel assemblies.
- PhD, Nuclear Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, 2020
- MS, Nuclear Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, 2016
- MS, Nuclear Engineering, Eidgenössische Technische Hochscule (ETHZ), Zurich and École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), Lausanne, Switzerland, 2013
- BS, Energy Engineering, Polytechnic University of Milan, Milan, Italy. 2011
- Member of American Nuclear Society, American Physics Society and IEEE
- Organized workshops to deliver training to undergraduates and graduates interested in neutron transport research for MCNP and SERPENT Monte Carlo Codes at the University of California, Berkeley
- Chaired sessions at ICONE25 conference, Shanghai, China
Awards and Recognitions
- Graduate Scholar Fellowship at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, 2017-2020
- Outstanding Student Mentorship Award, Department of Nuclear Engineering, University of California Berkeley, 2016 and 2018
- William S. Floyd, Jr. Graduate Student Fellowships, 2016-2018
- S. Bogetic, C. Yeamans, L. Dauffy, D. Shaughnessy and J. Vujic “Design of ride along integral experiments at the National Ignition Facility for nuclear engineering application” journal publication in preparation
- S. Bogetic, J. E. Bevins, D. Holland, L. A. Bernstein, A Rachel Slaybaugh, J. Vujic “COEUS: designing optimized energy tuning assemblies for neutron flux tailoring Software” journal publication in preparation
- P. Gorman, S. Bogetic, J. Hou, J.E. Seifried, G. Zhang, J. Vujic, and E. Greenspan “Thorium fueled resource-renewable BWR (RBWR) design update”, Transaction of the American Nuclear Society, Volume 111, November 2014, Pages 299-303
- E. Greenspan, P. Gorman, S. Bogetic, J. Seifried, G. Zhang, C.R. Varela, M. Fratoni, J. Vujic, T. Downar, A. Hall, A. Ward, M. Jarrett, A. Wysocki, Y. Xu, M. Kazimi, K. Shirvan, A. Mieloszyk, M. Todosow, N. Brown, L. Cheng,” Self-Sustaining Thorium Boiling Water Reactors”, Technical Report https://doi.org/10.2172/1183773
- M. Hursin, S. Bogetic, A. Dokhane, S. Canepa, H. Ferroukhi, O. Zerzak, A. Pautz “Development and validation of a TRACE/PARCS core model of Leibstadt Kernkraftwerk Cycle 19”, Annals of Nuclear Energy Volume 101, March 2017, Pages 559–575 http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306454916305680
- S. Bogetic, J. E. Bevins, L. A. Bernstein, A Rachel Slaybaugh, J. Vujic “Metaheuristic optimization method for neutron spectra shaping”, Proceeding of the 2018 ANS Annual Meeting - Philadelphia, 2018
- S. Bogetic, C. Yeamans, L. A. Bernstein, J. Vujic, D. Shaughnessy “Integral experiments at the National Ignition Facility for nuclear data validation on modeled neutron flux spectra”, Proceeding of the 5th Joint Meeting of the APS Division of Nuclear Physics and the Physical Society of Japan - Hawaii, October 2018
- S. Bogetic, J. Bevins, J. Vujic, “Metaheuristic optimization for neutron spectral shaping for boron neutron capture therapy”, Proceedings of the Pacific Basin Nuclear Conference - San Francisco, October 2018
- S. Bogetic, P. Gorman, M. Fratoni, E. Greenspan and J. Vujic “3-D core design of the TRU-incinerating thorium RBWR using accident tolerant cladding”, Proceedings of the International Conference on Fast Reactors and Related Fuel Cycles, (FR17) 26–29 June 2017 - Yekaterinburg, Russian Federation
- S. Bogetic, P. Gorman, M. Aufiero, M. Fratoni, E. Greenspan and J. Vujic “Uncertainty analysis of the TRU- burning Thorium-fueled RBWR using generalized perturbation theory” Proceedings of 2017 ICONE25, 25th International Conference on Nuclear Engineering ICONE25 May 14-18, 2017 -Shanghai, China. *Best Student Paper North America Award.
- S. Caruso, S. Bogetic “TRITON/SCALE modeling for PWR and BWR fuel assemblies in the framework of the AAA 2012 workshop benchmark”, 2012 AAA-Workshop at GRS, Garching 2012