Reactor physics, in-core fuel management, fuel cycle and isotopic analysis, advanced reactors, fusion neutronics and multi-physics.
PhD, Nuclear Engineering, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, 1993
Minor: Computational Applied Mathematics
MNE, Nuclear Engineering, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, 1988
Minor: Materials Science and Engineering
BS, Engineering Physics, University of Toledo, Toledo, OH, 1985
Minor: Nuclear Engineering
Awards and Recognitions
- 2019, Mentor to Top UT NE Senior Design Team Selected as 2019 ANS Finalist
- 018, Guest Editor, Annals of Nuclear Energy, PHYSOR 2018 Special Issue
- 2017, Awarded Full Professorship at The University of Tennessee
- 2017, DOE Innovations in Fuel Cycle Research Award (w/ Troy Eckleberry)
- 2017, UT College of Engineering Research Achievement Award
- 2016, DOE Innovations in Fuel Cycle Research Award (w/ Nick Luciano)
- 2012, Awarded Early Tenure at The University of Tennessee
- 2012, UT College of Engineering Research Fellow Award
- 2012, DOE Innovations in Fuel Cycle Research Award (w/ Cole Gentry)
- 2012, DOE Innovations in Fuel Cycle Research Award (w/ Nathan George)
- 2012, General Co-Chair, 2012, PHYSOR Conference, Knoxville, TN
- 2011, Best Paper, 2011 COMSOL Conference (w/ David Chandler)
- 2010-11, Chair, American Nuclear Society, Reactor Physics Division
- 2007-10, Secretary, Treasurer, Vice Chair, ANS Reactor Physics Division
Select list of publications. For the full list, view his Google Scholar page.
O'Neal, S.B. Seo, G.I. Maldonado, N.R. Brown, “Assessment of BISON capabilities for component-level prediction of tritium transport in fusion and fission applications,” Fusion Engineering and Design, Volume 175, 2022, 112996, ISSN 0920-3796, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fusengdes.2021.112996.
R.Z. Taylor, R.K. Salko, R. Graham, B.S. Collins, G.I. Maldonado, “Implementation of Two-Phase Gas Transport into VERA for Molten Salt Reactor Analysis,” Annals of Nuclear Energy, 165, doi:10.1016/j.anucene.2021.108672, Jan. 2022.
R.Z. Taylor, B.S. Collins, and G. Ivan Maldonado, “Exponential Time Differencing Schemes for Fuel Depletion and Transport in Molten Salt Reactors: Theory and Implementation,” Nuclear Science and Engineering, DOI: 10.1080/00295639.2021.1996197, Dec. 2021.
S.B. Seo, R. Hernandez, M. O’Neal, N. Meehan, F. S. Novais, M. Rizk, G. I. Maldonado, N. Brown, “A Review of Thermal Hydraulics Systems Analysis for Breeding Blanket Design and Future Needs for Fusion Engineering Demonstration Facility Design and Licensing,” Fusion Engineering and Design, 172, doi:10.1016/j.fusengdes.2021.112769, Nov. 2021.
J.A. Brown, G.I. Maldonado, “History of PWR and BWR Development,” Encyclopedia of Nuclear Energy, 157-171, http://doi.org/10.1016/b978-0-12-819725-7.00149-5, Elsevier 2021. Book Chapter.
Suk, O. Chvala, G.I. Maldonado, J. Frybort, “Evaluation of End of Cycle Plutonium Isotopic Content in a VVER-1000 Reactor using a 3D Full-Core Simulator,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, 377, Jun. 2021.
Suk, O. Chvala, G.I. Maldonado, J. Frybort, “Simulation of a NuScale Core Design with the CASL VERA Code,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, 371, Jan. 2021.
Novak, L. Sklenka, F. Fejt, G.I. Maldonado, O. Chvala, “Rod drop transient at VR-1 reactor – Experiment and Serpent transient calculation analysis,” Annals of Nuclear Energy, 141, June 2020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anucene.2019.107296
L. Francois, G. Alonso, E. del Valle, G.I. Maldonado, “Editorial: A preface to the special issue on PHYSOR-2018,” Annals of Nuclear Energy, 135, January 2020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anucene.2019.06.038
Novak, L. Sklenka, O. Huml, J. Frybort, O. Chvala, N.P. Luciano, G. I. Maldonado, “Benchmark evaluation of zero-power critical parameters for the Temelin VVER nuclear reactor using SERPENT & NESTLE and MCNP,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, 353, November 2019. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2019.110243
N. M. George, R. T. Sweet, J.J. Powers, A. Worrall, K.A. Terrani, B.D. Wirth, G. I. Maldonado, “Full-core analysis for FeCrAl enhanced accident tolerant fuel in boiling water reactors,” Annals of Nuclear Energy, 132, 486-503, October 2019. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anucene.2019.04.025